Providing homes and creating sustainable communities

Your home


Click on the item below to find out whether it's something we'll take care of for you or if it's something you're responsible for.

Animated bedroom with furniture image


Personal alarms

We’ll arrange for someone to fix and monitor the device or line.

Electric fixtures and fittings

We will take care of all electrical fixtures and fittings, including extractor fans, sockets, wiring, switches and light fittings.

Disabled adaptations

If your home has been changed in any way to help with your disabilities, we will carry out repairs to minor adaptations such as grab rails.

If you require significant changes to your home to help with your disability, you’ll need to contact your Local Authority to arrange these adaptions, and we’ll work with you to get any changes made. You are also responsible for the maintenance and repair of anything installed to your home.


We will regularly clean any communal areas. Cleaning of your home, including shower heads and keeping drains clear is your responsibility.

Animated kitchen and appliances image


Appliance testing

All fitted appliances, fittings and white goods provided by us will be tested. It’s up to you to arrange testing for your own electrical items.


We will inspect communal fridges, freezers, and dryers weekly.
We will carry out annual safety checks of all gas appliances owned by us.

You are responsible for any domestic appliances that you own, including cookers, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers.


We have a programme of work to maintain kitchen units, worktops, sinks and tiling - that includes full replacements, if required.


We will coordinate several routine inspections. This includes electrical and fire equipment checks, as well as testing for Legionella and other sewage treatment checks.

Animated bathroom with bath and toilet image


Bathrooms and toilets

We are responsible for all repairs.

We will repair your shower and electric towel rail if they were provided by us, and any communal toilet seats. We provide new toilet seats when a new tenancy begins and you are responsible for these after you move in.

You are responsible for your towel rails, toilet roll holders, cabinets, plugs and chains. 

Please see more information about blockages below.

Condensation, damp & mould

We will provide specialist, technical advice in complex cases. If needed, we will request surveys and carry out any repairs.

Mould is mostly caused by moisture from inadequate use of ventilation or heating. It’s up to you to manage any excessive moisture within your home, and regularly clean and wipe away mould.

Find out more about how to combat condensation.

Drains, sewers & blockages

You’ll need to have a reasonable attempt to clear all blockages. And please don’t throw nappies and wet wipes down the toilet or pour chip fat or oil down your kitchen sink.

However, if you can’t get them clear, we will take care of drain and sewer blockages, as well as kitchen waste, bath waste, toilets, and hand basin blockages.

Floor coverings

We will take care of floor coverings in any communal areas, as well as in your kitchen, utility room and bathroom.

Apart from the kitchen, utility room and bathroom, you’re responsible for all the floors in your home. This includes any changes you need to make to your doors to accommodate your new carpets.

Shower heads and hoses

We won’t repair any shower heads, hoses or curtains.

You’ll need to replace shower heads, hoses and curtains if they break. Looking after them through regular cleaning will help avoid the need to replace them.


Animated living room with furniture and hole in wall image

Living room

Coat hooks, curtains and curtain rails

You are free to put up and maintain coat hooks, curtains and curtain rails.


You are responsible for any damage caused by you, your family or visitors to your home. Remember, you may be recharged if we have to repair damage to your home.


Your new home will be decorated neutrally throughout when you move in and we will bring any surface back to this standard after a repair. In some cases, we will provide you with redecoration vouchers.

We will also, where needed, wash down and decorate external communal areas.

It’s up to you how you decorate your home. Just please make sure you leave it in good decorative order and painted in neutral colours when you leave.


We will look after the floor structures, including the floorboards and screed coverings.

Heating & hot water system

As part of our annual programme, if your heating system breaks down or you need a new one, we’ll take care of it. Whether it’s gas, solar, air source, oil or electric storage heating, we’ll keep them up & running. This also includes any built-in fan heaters and hot water cylinders. We’ll also maintain any heating in communal areas.

We’ll make sure energy meters, flues and meter boxes are easy to access (keeping the area free from overgrown plants, for example). You can also ask us to relight any pilot lights that have gone out, or to give access to certain areas for annual services.

You need to ensure there’s enough fuel or energy supply for heating.

Light bulbs

We will replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes in communal areas when needed, and we will replace bulkhead light fittings in older persons' schemes too. If you’re unable to change lightbulbs inside your home, perhaps due to a disability, you can always ask us.

Unless you’re physically unable to, replacing bulbs, fluorescent tubes, starters and dimmer switches in your home is up to you.

Plastering / rendering

If you find large cracks in plaster or render, we'll repair them.  If there is a structural issue, we'll involve our insurance company.

We’ll leave any cracks that are under 3mm wide (about the thickness of a £1 coin) to you.

Smoke / heat / CO detectors (domestic)

If your smoke, heat or carbon monoxide detector needs its batteries replacing, we’ll do that. Similarly, we’ll also install them in new properties when we visit to carry out a gas service. It’s up to us to repair and replace any sealed, hardwire smoke detectors too.

It’s up to you to regularly test the batteries in these detectors.

Telephone points / sockets / aerials

It’s up to us to provide and maintain any telephone/aerial points & sockets in communal areas.

You’ll need to maintain any points or sockets that are inside your home.

Animated image of garden with washing line and shed


Estate inspections and clearance

We will monitor and manage any discarded items, including fly-tipping that’s on our land. There may be a change incurred if this happens.

Fencing and boundaries

We will make sure your front boundary is in keeping with neighbouring properties. Any repairs we carry out will match the existing fencing. Your rear boundary will be marked with a post and wire fence unless it borders a communal area in which case, we will provide 1.8m fencing with concrete posts.


We will take care of any repairs, such as replacement doors etc.

If you lose your keys, it’s up to you to cover the cost of a lock change or a set of new keys.

Garden / grounds maintenance

We carry out surveys and maintenance on all trees on our land to ensure they’re safe. We also take care of grounds maintenance and gardening in your communal areas.


Our estates team and have the tools and will remove graffiti from any buildings on our land. If it’s not Banksy, we will take it off. 

Gritting / salting

When the weather turns, we will take care of gritting and salting for our older person schemes.

Sewage treatment plants

We will clear and maintain septic tanks as required ... lucky you.


If the shed is made of bricks, we’ll take care of the repairs.

If it’s made of wood, it’s up to you to repair.

Washing lines

We’ll repair and replace any broken communal washing lines.

You’re responsible for your individual washing line.

Animated image of outside of house with dog


Doors, hinges, handles and external locks

We are responsible for internal and external doors, including hinges and external locks.

If you lose your keys, it’s up to you to cover the cost of a lock change or a set of new keys. 

Gutters and downpipes

We’ll routinely clear out the gutters and downpipes outside your home and repair them if they break.


We are responsible for all maintenance and repairs to lifts.

Paths, steps and roads

Anything to do with existing paths, roads, car parks and steps is our responsibility. That includes repair and replacement.

Structural damage

Upon finding out about structural damage to your home, we’ll carry out an initial investigation and diagnose any problems.

All you’ll need to do in the event of structural damage to your home is to let us know about it.


We’ll carry out repairs to meter box cupboards. For relocation of meters, please contact your service provider.


If there are walls which need repairing, repointing or rebuilding, we will take care of it all.

You don’t have to repair, repoint or rebuild any walls – what a relief!

Window repairs

We will repair any window locks which have broken, whether they’re internal or external. We can also replace window restrictors if required.

If you lose the keys to your window, you’ll need to buy replacement keys or a new lock as required.


We will carry out a survey and remove any asbestos-containing materials before you move into your new home.

We will carry out a survey and remove any asbestos containing materials before you move into your new home. Sometimes, asbestos will be left behind if it’s undisturbed, in low amounts and not a risk to your health. We’ll clearly mark this for you.
For more information on asbestos, visit our I'm a New Tenant page.


We are responsible for any appliances installed by us, and any structural repairs, such as repointing or rebuilding. 

You are responsible for sweeping your chimney.


We will coordinate any upgrades to cavity wall and loft insulation. We’ll also replace any loft insulation if we removed any, due to a repair.

Pest control

It's up to you to keep on top of any household pests in your home and garden.

However, if there’s a serious infestation causing damage to your home, like bed bugs or rats, it’s best you ring us to sort it out.

Similarly, if there’s a pest in a communal area or sheltered property, like rodents, insects or wasps, give us a call. 

Permissions list

Throughout your tenancy, there are bound to be things you’ll want to change, replace or remove. But, before you pick up the hammer and nails, get in touch with us – we may need to provide you with our written consent. Find out more below:

We usually give permission to change...

  • Additional sockets
    The work must be carried out by an NICEIC approved contractor.
  • Aerial (analogue or digital)
    Only in houses or bungalows (not flats). They can be fitted in the loft or to the outside of your home, and it’s your responsibility to maintain them once they’re installed.
  • Business from home
    It depends, so you’ll need to talk this one through with us.
  • Coving
  • Electric key/card/smart meter
  • Fencing
    You must talk it through with your neighbours first. Fences must be no higher than 1m at the front of your home or 2m at the back.
  • Gas key/card/smart meter
  • Greenhouse
    It must be removed at the end of your tenancy. The maximum size is 2m x 2.5m.
  • Keysafe
    It must be removed at the end of your tenancy.
  • Laminate flooring
    Unless you’re in an upper floor flat.
  • Lodger
    It depends, so you’ll need to talk this one through with us.
  • Mixer tap shower
    The surrounding walls should be fully tiled to protect against water damage.
  • Outside light
    The work must be carried out by an NICEIC approved contractor and mustn't cause a nuisance to any neighbouring properties.
  • Outside tap
    It should be earthed with a plastic insert fitted to the copper pipe to separate earth from the inside to outside of the property.
  • Parking space
    You'll need permission from your local authority to drop the kerb.
  • Satellite dish
    You must speak with your local authority about any planning restrictions and obtain planning consent if necessary. If you live in a flat with a communal satellite dish, you may not change it.
  • Shed (wooden/plastic/metal)
    Yes (It must not be bigger than 3m x 2.5m).
  • Water butt
  • Water meter

We don't allow changes to...

  • Bathroom
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Conservatory
  • Front door 
  • Gas supply for gas cooker
  • Kitchen
  • Lean-to
  • Loft insulation
  • Multi-fuel burner/open fire
  • Pond
  • Tumble dryer vent
  • Wood burner/open flue

If you would like to make a change for your home, you'll need to apply for permission below:

Pets in your home

Welcoming a new pet into the family can be a great source of companionship and enrich our lives. But, before you commit, it’s important to consider the impact a pet can have on your neighbours, your home, the animal itself and your finances.

You must have written consent from Victory to keep any animals, including birds. If you do not get written consent, we may ask you to rehome your pet.

New tenants who already have pets before moving into a Victory home, and therefore don’t have written permission, can apply for retrospective permission. We’ll grant retrospective permission in the following circumstances:

  • Where the animal is being kept in accordance with the animal ownership policy. This means your home is suitable for keeping that number and type of pets, and where no more than two cats or dogs are kept in the home.
  • The existing pets are not causing any problems within your home, the communal area or to your neighbours. If we deem your home is unsuitable for keeping the animal, we may seek to assist you with a planned move to a suitable property or assist you in rehoming your pets.

We won’t grant retrospective permission to tenants who were clearly advised when they moved into their new home, or before they obtained their pet, that they would not be given permission for such a pet to be kept in that type of property.

Image of sofa with dog icon overlaying

If you’d like to talk to us about getting permission to have a pet, or if you’re looking to borrow a dog crate, you can call us on 0330 123 1860 and we’ll talk it through. Or check out the documents below to get started.

Communal areas

If you share some communal spaces with your neighbours, there are some guidelines you need to be aware of. This is for your safety, and the safety of those around you.

Your Feedback

We aim to make it quick and easy for you to have your say about what matters to you, so we can deliver the best possible service. If you’d like to give us feedback on your repair, please visit our feedback page.

Helpful resources

Sometimes, when it comes to keeping your home in tip-top condition, you might need a helping hand. Working in partnership with Flagship Services, we’ve put together a library of how-to guides, useful tips and practical advice for maintaining your home, inside and out.
White lightbulb icon