Fire hazards to avoid in your home

Home is where the heart is, so it’s important you take the time to protect it from fires and prevent a problem before it happens. Home fires can happen in a matter of seconds, and while some fire hazards are obvious, some may be more hidden

A large part of fire safety is minimising potential hazards within your home and being aware of the risks is the first step to prevention. So, what fire hazards should you be looking out for?

Leaving cooking unattended

Around 60% of fires in the home begin in the kitchen, often as a result of leaving cooking unattended, setting the temperature too high, or leaving flammable objects nearby. Never leave cooking unattended, as even stepping away for a few seconds can lead to a fire.


Did you know that cigarettes cause a quarter of all accidental fires in the home? If you’re smoking in your garden or communal area, take care when disposing of your cigarette by making sure it’s fully extinguished. You should also be respectful of your neighbours and reduce the amount of smoke drifting over to their garden.

Cooking with BBQs

During the summer months you may want to make use of the BBQ, but you should know how to use them safely. To avoid a fire spreading, never leave a BBQ unattended, always use them outside and not on a balcony, and keep them in an open space away from trees and fences.


Candles may look nice and smell delicious, but they can be a serious fire hazard if left unattended. When burning a candle, make sure you position it on fireproof surface and keep it away from flammable items such as curtains or fabrics. You should also keep them out of reach of children.

Overloading sockets

Plugging too many electrical appliances into one socket can lead to overheating, which can cause a fire. Although extension leads do have space to plug in four appliances this does not mean it is safe to do so!

Hair tools

Anyone who’s ever grazed their ear or neck with a hair styling tool knows they get hot enough to burn! Electrical beauty appliances can reach temperatures of 235 degrees within minutes, enough to ignite nearby materials and cause a fire if left unattended. Always place tools on a heat proof surface and turn them off once you have finished.

Fire prevention starts with you

These are just a few of the fire hazards to look out for around your home. Along with keeping your eye out for any problems, you should have a working smoking alarm fitted and ensure you test this regularly.

To find out more about fire safety and how to keep yourself and your loved ones safe, head over to the fire safety page of our website! You can also watch this short video from our Housing team to find out more!